No Guessing

Anything to do with minesweeper...
FuzzyDriver

No Guessing

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Is there a good, downloadable Minesweeper version that never requires you to guess to win? I find it very annoying when I have to guess in order to win. Sometimes, after perfect logic on Expert level, I'll have to guess three 50-50 times to win! I found a webpage one, BTW, which appears to remove the guess-factor by pre-clicking guess-required squares for you - yuck.

Thanks!
Win7 Advanced only, 455 Wins/3137 Games, Best Time: 250 Seconds

Re: No Guessing

Post by 18201 »

Let me introduce Solvable-Minesweeper-v2.4.1.

According to the author's classification, no guessing Minesweeper can be divided into 6 categories, including weak no guessing, strong no guessing, racing no guessing, quasi-no guessing, weak guessable, and strong guessable. If you want to play all of them, this is your only option.

However, this is a minesweeper in development strictly speaking, and the process will be still very long. If you can't accept that the software may have problems such as sudden shutdown, reporting virus, bugs, etc., please don't try to download it. This is a common feature of immature software. This game is open source on github and follows the GPL-3.0 license. The python package also follows the GPL-3.0 license, however it could be commercially used for free.

Its introduction on github is as follows:
Black Cat Minesweeper v2.4.1 is a minesweeper game developed by players who love minesweeping. This project is not a simple repetition of existing work, but a collection of modern designs of minesweeper games. It has three integrated minesweeper engines + probability calculation engine + optical board recognition (OBR) engine, with all 6 no-guess minesweeper modes + standard + win7. Written in Python/PyQt5 and Rust, it takes into account memory safety and execution speed. Unlike the professionalism of Arbiter and the compactness of Minesweeper X, the developers of Black Cat Minesweeper wanted to make a highly intelligent minesweeper. In appearance it is just a normal standard minesweeper, but it can be resized at will, can adjust the transparency of the window, can calculate the probability that whether each cell in the board has a mine, and could use screenshot recognition to calculate the probability that whether each cell in the board has a mine in other minesweeper games. In terms of gameplay, the weak guessable and strong guessable modes are unique, and it is the only minesweeper that comes with a tutorial for newbies. For high players, it is professional, able to calculate 3BV/s, STNB, RQP indicators and display them. In addition, it does not disturb the player, no window pops up when the player does not go to actively open it, and any window can be closed quickly by pressing the spacebar.
The github URL is: https://github.com/eee555/Solvable-Minesweeper

This game is currently in Chinese. Internationalization is also one of the authors' goals, however, it has not yet been achieved.
FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Thank you for the reply. If it was a C# program I'd be tempted to help with it. I am a retired senior software engineer. Perhaps, given that there currently isn't one, I should write a version myself that eliminated having to guess to win. It is so satisfying when I play Minesweeper and I get through the whole thing without having to guess. A careful player could get into the 95% win range.
Win7 Advanced only, 455 Wins/3137 Games, Best Time: 250 Seconds

Post by 18201 »

This is a minesweeper solver in C#, and I guess this is the fastest solver written in C#. Because the solver written by the same author in JS is currently the fastest. So you can discuss with him.

https://github.com/DavidNHill/Minesweeper2
Cryslon

Post by Cryslon »

Have you tried minesweeper from Tatham's puzzle collection? It's minesweeper without 50/50s, though that does reduce pattern variation. I find the 30x16/170 boards very fun in that version regardless.
Go IRC! (try mibbit)